[253] Results of the one minute essay, notes online, elive link

Dear 253,

Thanks for your good humour today and the wonderful "one minute" essays - I have just started reading them and will continue on the bus on the way home tonight.

I quickly went through the paper submissions (85 in all) and can report the following:

65 - no suggestions on improvement (although that's probably NOT because there is nothing to improve...)

22 - with suggestions/requests

of those 22...

3 did a drawing (various things, mainly representational, but one abstract) - nice work, but don't give up on university...

1 suggested I dance (a "jig") during the break - hmmm.

3 said everything was "fine" (or worse to that effect) ... thanks!

1 hoped for the powerpoint slides *before* the lecture - I can't promise this, but I will try...

1 suggested that I emphasize "key concepts" - good idea, see next e-mail

1 wondered if I could provide contemporary chinese examples in my lectures - I'd like to, but I will probably need help on this; anyone should feel free to suggest an example ; I will have prizes for good examples

1 asked if we could have longer breaks so they can get through the bathroom line - I don't want to do this, our time is short enough already, but what I *will* do is lead an expedition of anyone who wants to come with me next time to find alternative bathrooms at Harbour Centre... I know some hidden ones.

5 mentioned that they were either "drowning in information" or wished that I would slow down - this, I think, is a very important finding, because if five people felt this way, probably another 20 would agree. So, I will try to slow down, and I will have rewards (free coffee or cookie) for those who ask for me to "go over that again".

Thanks for all your suggestions. And all your one minute essays!

...r

--
Richard Smith, Associate Professor School of Communication
Simon Fraser University, 515 West Hastings Street, Vancouver, CANADA V6B 5K3